Desktop services bring together support for you, your computer and your software, covering all of the areas listed below, and anything else connected with your desktop or laptop computer in the Department.
If you work within a research group or Divisional office, you may have IT support within your group or Division. If you do, they are the first people to contact for support in these areas. Otherwise, you can get in touch with the Computer Operators, or one of our more specific contact points. Details of all of these are on our contacts page.
- Purchasing and configuring new computers and other equipment
- Purchasing, licensing and installing software
- Installing anti-virus software, and removing virus infections
- Accessing and using shared drives on Department servers
- Advice on backing up your documents and data
- E-mail - programs, addresses and mailing lists
- Printing to office and Uniflow printers
- Advice on IT training and resources